Location: State Street (Illinois Route 64), Sycamore
The current DeKalb County Courthouse building was the third such structure to be built in Sycamore. The first courthouse was a log building built in 1839, across the street from its current location. Due to progressive growth in the county, a second building was constructed in 1850 and additions were made to this structure in 1863.
There was some controversy surrounding the location of the current courthouse. Prominent DeKalb leaders wanted the county seat and the courthouse moved from Sycamore to their city, but local contributions and legal efforts allowed Sycamore to retain both and to build a new courthouse, at a price of approximately $100,000.
The 1905 courthouse features four fluted pillars at its entrance and walls made of Bedford stone.
Images of DeKalb County Courthouse.
Klein, Ron and Mac McIntire. "Looking Back at the DeKalb County Courthouse." DeKalb County Illinois Online: a Virtual Community Guide.