Location: 509 North First Street, DeKalb
The Ellwood House Museum was built as a private residence by DeKalb entrepreneur Isaac L. Ellwood in 1879 at a cost of about $50,000. The Victorian style house underwent major remodelling in 1898 and 1911. The original estate covered over 1,000 acres including "Ellwood Green" where Ellwood kept his livestock. The house itself contained more than thirty rooms six baths and two wine cellars. There was also a deer park and a nature conservatory on the estate at one point in time.
Isaac Ellwood lived here until 1910, when it was passed on to his youngest son Perry Ellwood. The home was donated to the city of DeKalb in 1964 and converted to a museum. Currently the mansion features the same furnishings that the family owned when it was still a private residence.
The Ellwood Museum was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Ellwood House Museum
Images of Ellwood House.
Source: Davy Harriet Wilson. From Oxen to Jets: a History of DeKalb County 1835-1963. Dixon IL: Rogers 1963.