HistorySearch/Browse TextsSearch/ Browse ImagesAudio/VideoAbout the Project

Haish Memorial Library

Location:309 Oak Street, DeKalb
Erected:1930
Architects:White & Weber, Chicago
Architectural Style: Art Deco

The Haish Memorial Library was built in 1930 with funds from the 1928 will of DeKalb inventor and entrepreneur Jacob Haish.

Between 1923 and 1931 the library in DeKalb was housed on the second floor of City Hall and then moved to the second floor of what was then the Daily Chronicle Building on East Lincoln Highway.

Contractors Skoglund & Wedburg of DeKalb constructed the building in the Art Deco style popular at the time. The Haish Memorial Library was dedicated on February 15, 1931.

The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Images of Haish Memorial Library.
©Copyright 2004 Taming the Wild Prairie Digitization Project